Reasons to Focus on Good Mental Health
Mental health is an important part of your holistic development. It is correlated with other aspects like physical health, spiritual health, and emotional well being. It governs our actions, reactions, and relations.
So, for a total healthy lifestyle, we need to focus on improving all of these.
But, in recent times, people realize the importance of good mental health. To find solace in chaos, you need to keep yourself motivated.
Good mental health is important at every stage of life, starting from childhood, transitioning into adolescence, and then reaching adulthood.
Reasons to focus on good mental health
Some of the main reasons to focus on maintaining a healthy mind are mentioned hereafter.
- It keeps you happy. The primary reason to focus on good mental health is your happiness.
Though happiness is controlled by several external factors, good mental health builds up your confidence to react positively, even to a negative situation. One of the positive things about mental health is the sense of happiness you would feel. Then, you can focus on your day-to-day activities with a renewed energy.
- Good mental health allows you to maintain positivity and controls negative emotions.
To survive the crisis of the modern world, we need a positive outlook. When there are excess negative emotions, our thought process and behavior get regulated by those.
- Good mental health provides stability of thoughts. It helps you to cope with uncertainty and get accustomed to changes.
Stable thoughts help you to make a firm decision and instill confidence in you. The times are difficult due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 Pandemic and because constant changes are happening around the world. Good mental health helps you to keep up with the pace of change and interpret things positively.
- A healthy mental condition helps you develop and maintain good relationships.
Good mental health is the utmost requirement for a healthy relationship. Your partner feels suffocated if you have an excess of emotions, which leads to an imbalance. Later, it would result in fights if both of you are not on the same page.
- Positive mental health increases your scope of work productivity.
Only with a good state of mind can you keep complete focus; otherwise, it becomes tiresome. If you want to be active and motivated, you need to take care of your mental health.
- It controls the sleep structure. Helps to get more sleep, which is required for proper functioning.
Peace of mind is important for sleep. If you are disturbed or anxious, then there would be sleep problems. So, good mental health means proper sleep.
- A healthy mind means a healthy body. It helps you to remain physically active and spirited.
One may wonder, why should we care about mental health? One of the answers is its effect on the body's health.
As you know, the mind and the body are connected. Good mental health leads to proper metabolism and a fit body. If you suffer from mental problems, yourr body is the first to get affected because of irregular sleep patterns, eating habits, and medication.
Globally, approximately 19% of the adults, 46% of teenagers, and 13% of the children suffer from bad mental health conditions every year. You may even know many people in your life who are struggling within. Indeed, they may be someone living next door, your office associates, a teacher of your child, or even your own family relative.
Conditions that affect mental health
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, there are few serious problems caused by bad mental health. Let us take a closer look at those problems.
- Anxiety Disorder - Problematic mental health might lead to anxiety disorder. Anxiety is a part of life, but it becomes threatening when it worsens over time. Eventually, the problems start dissuading regular activities.
There are mainly three types of anxiety-
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) - If you show symptoms of excessive anxiety and prolonged stress, it is related to GAD.
- Panic Disorder - In such a situation, you might undergo recurrent panic attacks. These are sudden attacks leading to intense pressure—the immediacy of the causes a sense of impending doom.
- Several Phobias - A phobia is an intense fear about a certain object and specific situations. Often this kind of fear is much more than the actual danger posed by the situation or object.
- Borderline Personality Disorder - This is an illness caused by constant mood swings, incomprehensible behavior patterns, and impulsive actions.
People with such problems may face a lack of confidence. In such cases, you are mostly self-critical. It is difficult to treat this disorder when it co-occurs with other issues.
- Bipolar Disorder - Also known as Manic Depressive Illness or Manic Depression, is caused by mental illness. It involves alteration in mood, work productivity, energy level, etc. In this case, you would see your mood alter within a blink of an eye.
There are three major categories of Bipolar Disorder:
- Bipolar I Disorder - This is a kind of illness in which the manic episodes last for at least seven days. You would become more depressed and tend to react unexpectedly.
- Bipolar II Disorder - Such a condition happens when the manic episodes are accompanied by depressive episodes and hypomanic disorder.
- Cyclothymic Disorder - This is caused when there are symptoms of hypomanic disorder and depression together. This lasts for a minimum of two years.
There may not be exact symptoms of Bipolar disorder. Still, you should be careful about yourself so that even a little discrepancy can get noticed.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - This is a disease that leads to recurring thoughts and uncontrolled behaviors. It causes extreme anxiety formed because of disturbing mental images. To appease obsession, when one feels the urge to do something, it causes a sense of compulsion.
OCD generally interferes with the daily routine. Often, it results in certain involuntary actions and reactions.
One of the most common problems related to OCD is -
Tic disorder is brief and repetitive, causing eye movement, frowning of the face, constant leg movement or hand movement, etc.
As per a study, most people are examined by the age of 19. Typically, the earliest recorded symptoms for this disorder in humans is seen more in young boys than in girls. However, sometimes, the first signs appear in people after turning age 35.
- Schizophrenia - It is a serious problem caused due to poor mental health. It affects a person's thought process, behavior, and emotions. Overall, Schizophrenia causes people to lose touch with reality, causing significant distress.
Some of the major symptoms of Schizophrenia are as follows
- Hallucination - It signifies having problems like imagining unknown and unidentified things.
- Delusion - Assessing situations that cannot be supported by factual details.
The best treatments that would work here are psychosocial treatment, coordinated specialty care, or assertive community treatment.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - Stress is caused due to troubled mental health. It occurs because of one's perception of an event as a trauma. Fear and tension about a certain situation can have harmful effects. Common symptoms like unnecessary fear and perturbation are visible in someone diagnosed with PTSD.
- Depression - Clinical depression is both a major side effect and subsequent cause of disturbed mental health. Depression disrupts day-to-day and regular activities like sleep, eating habits, etc. The psychotic disorder is the most severe form of depression. In it, the patient reacts abruptly and acts strangely.
According to the World Health Organization, at least one out of four people worldwide suffer from some sort of neurological or mental disorder. In their report, they also state that approximately 450 million people suffer from such disorders. Thus, mental disorders are one of the leading causes of bad health and suffering worldwide.
Common Mental Health Treatments
Mental health problems can lead to different complications, but there are certain common treatments offered. These ensure that you develop good mental health and avoid any kind of side effects or suffering.
This is one of the most useful treatments for mental health, and those affected are encouraged to talk with psychologists. One of the advantages of mental health awareness is knowing what the issues are. Identifying the problem would quicken your road to recovery. The psychologists would assist you with that.
They help you share your insecurities and your troubles. You get a professional guide on how to move ahead with this kind of problem.
Counselling has proven to be an effective way of treating mental health-related problems. Some advantages include:
- Improvement in communication and interpersonal skills
- There is more sense of self-acceptance and less complaining
- Self-esteem increases
- Improved self-expression and management of emotions
- Relief from depression, anxiety, and other mental health conditions
- Clarity of thoughts.
Brain Stimulation Therapy
It involves activating the brain with electricity. This is a dangerous kind of treatment. It is offered when the patient does not respond to any other treatment. Electroconvulsive therapy is the best-studied brain stimulation therapy and has the longest history of use.
There are some other kinds of stimulation treatments as well.
- Magnetic Seizure Therapy (MST)
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
All these treatments have proved their worth in this field, and you would then notice the benefits of good mental health.
Some easier and viable self-treatments
- Doing physical exercises like yoga to keep an active body helps your mind stay focused and calm. Reportedly, those who exercise daily feel better and are less likely to overeat or consume alcohol and drugs.
- Lavender candles or oil and Ylang-ylang leaves to relax the nerves and calm your mind.
- A healthy diet is the best way to keep a healthy mind. You need to eat proteins and vitamins and avoid unhealthy
Your mind is the temple of your body. It is the mind that helps you cope with problems. Thus, we all should aspire to maintain good mental health.Visit Now