How to take care of your Hair?
What is everyone worried about losing these days? No no, it’s not the money and it is certainly not the weight; who would be worried about losing the extra weight anyway, right? Want to know what I am talking about? It is on top of everyone’s head, yes the Hair.
I don’t know about you but I am certainly losing a lot of it and no I don’t like it. But did you know it is normal to lose about 100-150 strands of hair? Shocking right? Even I did not know that losing even a single hair strand is normal. But you know when the problem occurs when you start losing more than that. How do you know how much you are losing? Well, when you see hair fall on your clothes or your scrunchies and the obvious is the thinning of the hair you experience.
What causes the hair to fall you ask?
Well, let’s get one thing straight the hair on your head the quality of the hair depends on what you put in your system, it depends on what you feed your body, it depends on what you feed your hair. You can have access to the most expensive shampoos, you can have access to the most expensive creams and conditioners and all of that stuff but it may be good for you but it may also be detrimental for you depending on how many chemicals they have. You may have access to the best hair treatments in the world some might be good for you and some might be bad, but when you look at the longer picture, all of these hair treatments have chemicals in them which only makes your hair weaker and weaker.
I am not saying do not go for these treatments but we must understand the balance between good hair care and the bad one.
What’s most important to keep in mind to take care of your hair?
The most important thing when it comes to your hair is what you feed every one of those cells in the human body because your hair at the end of today has its root in your scalp and what you feed that root results on how your hair looks, how thick it is, the colour of it how quickly it ages and how quickly it falls. Sounds very simple, right?
You see hair has a life cycle as well which is divided into 3 parts. There's the growth phase of hair, there's the rest phase of hair and then there's the shedding phase of your hair. Losing hair is normal but losing clumps of hair or having thinning hair or if you have premature ageing these are not to be ignored as these are the signs that your body is giving you that you don't have the right nutrition going into your system. Now you might be wondering that you eat the right food and yet you are having hair loss, well in that case you have the right nutrition going into your system but it's not reaching your cells because you have the wrong exercise you have poor circulation.
You: But my hair loss is not because of my diet or exercise, it is because of my genes. But did you know when we get the good genes from our parents we also get the bad ones, it is our job just to not feed those genes? We can't just blame our genes in very rare cases will it be hereditary but in most cases, we lead the wrong lifestyle and the wrong food to trigger off the bad genes that we all have and this in reciprocation leads to hair loss and also many other severe diseases like cancer.
When it comes to hair fall there are so many different reasons and we're going to go through some of those:
- Crash diets/over training:
Women and men who try to lose weight drastically through crash diets or through overtraining start looking older and their hair starts falling because we have to understand that if you are training and you are under eating or if you're overtraining and under eating you have a nutritional deficiency which in turn leads to hair fall. A good workout when done makes you glow, tired but also and a bad workout is one when you over train, you come home and you have to sleep immediately or you're sluggish throughout the day or you're fatigued throughout the day and you evidently lose that glow in your face you start looking Haggard and older that's a bad workout for you.
The human body can effectively lose about two to three kilos in a safe way and max to max 4 kilos if you're completely disciplined like when you go completely vegetarian drop out sugar and all process food and you work out the right way maybe four kilos but anything more than that.
- Hypothyroidism: People with hypothyroidism lose hair because the thyroid is a disease caused due to hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance is a cause for a lot of diseases including your hair loss. What do I do to improve hormonal imbalance you ask? There are thousands of people around the world right now who are no longer suffering from thyroid problems because they made lifestyle changes and changes in their nutrition and have repaired their thyroid gland which means no sign of hormonal imbalance and no sign of hair loss.
- Medication: People who are on high blood pressure medication, antidepressants and who are also on blood thinners may tend to lose hair far more quickly than someone who's not. This doesn't mean you dump your medication and get off. It is a lesson and awareness for you that you just don't jump onto medication when you can use lifestyle to control any disease like BP it in a safe way but of course with your doctor in the loop. These medications have side effects which also include thinning and falling of hair.
- Nutritional Deficiency:Let's start with two of the key vitamins iron and zinc which help in the production of haemoglobin and red blood cells in your body. What do red blood cells do? They help to carry oxygen and the nutrients from the food that you eat to all of your cells including your hair follicles so if you don't have the right number of red blood cells or you have low haemoglobin levels or iron you cannot transport nutrients from the food you eat to your hair. So even if you're having iron-rich foods like dates, nuts and seeds, beetroots and biotin and all of that stuff which is good for you; unless you have the carriers to carry that to your hair follicles you will have a hair problem which is why exercise is as important as having the right food. Circulation of blood and the right food go hand-in-hand.
- Vitamin D Deficiency: Did you know one in three people have a vitamin D deficiency and yes it has a direct connection with hair fall, thinning of hair and poor hair growth. Vitamin D, although it's a vitamin, is also a hormone and yes we have a lot of media that's trying to sell sunscreen that tells us to stay out of the Sun because you will damage your hair but it's the opposite. O I am not lying. Yes, the hair can get damaged but only when it is already damaged because of poor lifestyle. But if you want to make your hair stronger you have got to be out in the Sun at the safe times like in the early morning before 10:00 AM to increase your vitamin D which in turn will have a dramatic effect on the health of your hair.
- Bad Protein: Protein is the building block of every cell in the human body including your hair cells so if you have poor quality protein or synthetic protein or too much of protein in your body you won't have the right amount of quality to break down into amino acids which does all the magic when it comes to your muscle growth and your hair growth. So look at good protein like the vegetarian sources of protein and if you're a non-vegetarian you look at clean non-vegetarian sources of protein. Right from your green leafy vegetables to your nuts to your seeds to your fruits to your lentils to your rajma channa all of that stuff in a balanced diet will give you good quality protein. The combination of rice and the combination of lentils gives you a complete protein that is excellent for your hair, the combination of rice and the combination of rajma which is kidney bean will give you a complete protein which has the amino acids necessary for your hair.
- The Deficiency of Omega-3:Let's talk about omega-3 and no don't reach out for that bottle of fish right now you get high-quality omega-3 in sabja seeds as well also known as sweet basil seeds. Sabja seeds are all the little seeds that you see in falooda and they are rich in omega-3 which breaks down and becomes alpha-linolenic acid which is fantastic for your hair you will also find omega-3 in flax seeds in walnuts and of course in oily fish as well.
- Wrong-way of eating Eggs: For all people who eat eggs you need to get out of that habit of separating the yolk from the white. The white has 3 grams of protein it's an incomplete protein and you need the amino acids in the yolk to make it a complete protein as all the magic is in the yolk like the B vitamins, the choline and the actual protein that helps with your hair growth is in the yolk. So if you're eating an egg eat the whole thing and do not separate the whites from the yolk.
- Too much of Vitamin A: Too much of vitamin A can be toxic so if you are someone who constantly pops these multivitamins or vitamin A tablets stop doing it right away as it is toxic and will make your hair fall. But the right amount of vitamin A in the human body is excellent for hair growth. If you have the right amount of vitamin A which you get from your carrots your sweet potato and all of your natural foods your fruits and your vegetables raw you will have sufficient vitamin A without the worry of it having to go toxic.
- Biotin Deficiency: Let's talk about biotin which is very important for your hair growth. Everyone reaches out for biotin today. Let’s understand what Biotin is? Biotin is one of the B vitamins and specifically it's vitamin b7 is powerful for your hair if you only take it in its natural form. Today companies make biotin in its formulations and that also works good for your hair but if you go on popping biotin tablets and you're not circulating by leading a sedentary lifestyle like when you're not sleeping well enough that biotin is going to be a waste of money. You're wasting your money on a good supplement that can do well for your hair but because you don't have the right circulation and you're sitting too long throughout the day that biotin becomes a waste of your money and a waste in your body.
- Vitamin C deficiency: And then we look at vitamin C if you eat three to four fruits in a day and you have that one or two glasses of raw vegetable juice and your nuts and seeds you get sufficient vitamin C for your hair. Vitamin C is extremely important for your hair for all of those who smoke and drink excessive tea and coffee we need to know that that also depletes vitamin C from your body so technically if we're eating a balanced diet we have enough of all the vitamin C. So people, please include fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Bad Lifestyle: if we add bad lifestyles habits like overconsumption of alcohol, overconsumption of sugar and junk food, overconsumption of oil, overconsumption of you know medicines and antibiotics and yes smoking, of course, depletes all the very vitamins that are necessary for your hair. So you see you won't find your solution in a cream and a shampoo and a supplement you will find your solution in that one drug called lifestyle.
- Stress= Hair fall: Let's talk about stress, yes absolutely there is a connection between stress and hair fall and let's understand how. When you have elevated levels of cortisol which is your stress hormone guess what changes in your body- testosterone, pyroxene, DHEA and estrogen all the hormones required for hair growth so stress has a direct impact on your hair fall. You'll see young people today 25 and 26 with greying hair which speaks volumes about the stress that they have. Now, this stress could be work stress, financial stress, relationship stress, emotional stress but one of the biggest stressors are the stresses caused to the human body by less sleep and less recovery post your workouts. So get that 8 hours of sleep and stop your hair fall.
Note: Like I mentioned your hair has a life cycle there is growth, there is repair and then there is shedding. So if you don't have the right amount of rest and sleep at night you are going to have poor quality hair growth and no matter how much money you spend on supplements, good food and all those creams and all of those conditioners it won’t matter at all.
Let’s understand the science behind the hair fall:
Free radicals: Have you ever wondered why certain people going through chemotherapy and cancer go bald and they lose all of the hair, there’s a simple science behind it. In its honest attempt of chemotherapy to kill the cancer chemotherapy produces free radicals in the human body which go and further kill fast-dividing cancer cells. Now what happens is these fast-dividing cells exist in our bone which is why people's immunity drops, their white blood cells, the lymphocyte, Leukocytes, neutrophils all of that gets affected by the side effects of chemo which is the free radical generation to kill cancer.
Did you know that another fast dividing cell in the human body is your hair which is why the first thing that happens when someone is going through chemo is the body sheds all its hair? Free radicals can also be generated from the pollution in the air, the food, sugar, lack of exercise. We don't detoxify our bodies enough and that accumulate toxins over time which creates free radicals.
The free radicals create faster dividing cells which lower the immunity and also causes our hair to fall. So please stay away from free radicals, and how do you do that?
I have written a few solutions where you can stop the creation of free radicals from your body:
- Antioxidants: Antioxidants neutralize free radicals so again your fruits your vegetable are a great help here. You don't have to spend loads and loads of money on all these antioxidant supplements and stuff like that you can get it in your fruits, you can get it in your vegetables, in your nuts in your seeds, through your pranayama, through your meditation, through asanas through a simple walk. The liver generates a master antioxidant called glutathione. Glutathione is the master antioxidant of the human body and most people will have less glutathione because of lifestyle, because of medication, because of low petty and conventional drugs which we may need but at the same time, you got to make sure that we're replenishing our diet with foods which are rich in antioxidants.
- Coconut oil is your best conditioner: If we have hair fall number one, you may have the best conditioner in the world but remember every conditioner unless truly organic and chemical-free has a lot of chemicals that destroy minerals in so your natural conditioner and hair tonic for your hair is coconut oil. It could also be almond oil, it could also be olive oil but these oils are rich in minerals and when we apply it on the scalp of our hair our scalp absorbs these minerals which help to regenerate dead cells or keep alive the living cells.
One of the best solutions that I've learned is to use a combination of olive oil, cinnamon powder and pure honey, mix all of this and rub it into your scalp. Keep it for at least three to four hours and you wash it off, do this for about three or four times a week for at least two to three months and it is believed to arrest hair fall we instantly.
- Apple cider vinegar: Pure apple cider vinegar with equal parts of water when rubbed on your scalp helps to clean your hair and to clean your scalp of dandruff because when you have dandruff that's also reducing the health of your hair. So you keep a clean scalp using apple cider vinegar, keep it in your hair for about 30 minutes and you can wash it off.
- Raw Potato Juice: One of my favourites which people have the best results fro hair is from raw potato juice. Take a potato to wash it well with the skin. Juice it and apply it on your hair. It dries up and forms a thin crust on your hair. Wash it off after 30 to 60 minutes. It is a natural conditioner in itself. Apply raw potato juice within 10 to 15 days people are going to notice the difference not only in the colour of your hair but it is also going to get more voluminous and it's going to get more fuller.
- Yoga: I think I've gone through my list of everything it takes to build great hair. But nothing can beat yoga, especially the headstands. When you do an inversion and you have blood rush to your head that's one of the best exercises for your hair because what it does is carry blood carry oxygen which is required for growth and nutrients from for all the food that you eat to your hair.
- Stress-free life: So yes if people have genetic disorders it's good to get that checked it doesn't mean that you can't work to keep at least the hair that you have on your head healthy. There's always something that you can do but let's not get stressed when we start ageing too quickly and we start getting grey there's always something that we can do to reduce stress we can meditate we can get a hobby we can work on our relationships we can work on our own. Stress is the number one root cause of almost any problem that almost any one of us have today
- Onion Hair oil: Yes, we also get a onion hair oil for ou r hair which can brng back the shine and volume of your hair. Don’t worry you don’ have to make one for yourself, you can just click the link below to get the best onion hair oil available in the market which is 100% organic, chemical free and blended with 14 essential oil. Wait no more and start your hair care today.
Tip from the experts: So the whole idea is to put these things together. It's simple science your hair needs protein, your hair needs the right nutrition not too much of it not too little of it balanced the right amount for your body. So when you start working out the right way and eating the right way and moving the right way and sleeping the right way you'll find that your hair gets better it's as simple as that. Don't spend your money on all of those cosmetics outside; remember health is an inside-out approach.
Let's take an example of a plant, you can keep spraying the leaves with chemicals and water every day and it'll look good but slowly it'll start fading and dying and what do you then? Check the roots. What you are going to feed is the root beneath the soil and that's what makes the plant more beautiful that's what makes the flower more beautiful. So health is an inside-out approach, whether it's your skin whether it's your hair what you feed your body is exactly what you feed your hair. At the end, all I have to say is eat right, sleep well, move more and breathe deep.Visit Now