10 Simple Exercises you can do while sitting at your desk!
A sedentary lifestyle has become a common problem these days. Throughout the day, sitting idle in front of the cubicle will only give rise to health issues. According to some of the reports, the trend of sedentary lifestyle increased to 83% since 1950. In fact, a sedentary lifestyle would cause you to have a 29-45% more likelihood of dying.
As a result, the problem of obesity is a common scenario these days. However, suppose you want to follow a healthy lifestyle. In that case, you can practice the following simple exercises for sitting at a desk all day.
Why is it important to exercise at work?
Even though you follow a healthy diet routine and cut down on all junk foods, exercise is essential. However, if you simply go to your office and sit for long hours without any movement, your hard work goes down the drain.
Sitting idle in one place for long affects your health, especially your metabolism. As a result, in the future, you start gaining weight, especially in your belly area. Make sure that you are practicing some simple exercises without procrastinating.
Here are some of the desk exercises NHS recommends that you can practice in your cubicle.
Hand and finger stretching
It is considered one of the easiest and simple desk exercises you must practice during those small breaks. Typing for a long time can put repetitive straining on your hand. Thus, causing severe injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome.
On average, 69% of the time, this would develop in the wrists, 20% in the thumbs, 23% forearms, and 29% wrists.
However, if you practice hand and finger stretches, it will increase motion range and relieve stiff joints.
- All you have to do is make a fist and hold the position for about thirty to sixty seconds.
- Open your palm and stretch out your fingers.
- Keep repeating this at least four times.
Every time you take a break, make sure that you practice this exercise to avoid any issues in the future.
Sitting for long hours in your office chair for long will only lead to gaining weight around your stomach area. For this, desk exercises for abs are important to follow. Belly fat invites other deadly diseases like cardiovascular issues, diabetes, and obesity.
Due to this reason, it is always a good idea to practice abdominal stretches—good exercising averages at 20% reason for weight loss.
- You have to sit at the edge of your chair and keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Keep your hand behind your head and twist from left to right. Make sure that you are counting your motions.
- Also, you have to hold the position for ten to twenty seconds on both sides. Repeat this exercise twenty times.
This exercise will work on the oblique muscles too.
Leg extensions are one of the easiest since you can do this by sitting at your desk. All you have to do is swiftly transition into doing leg extensions while sitting on your chair.
It is important to understand that practicing leg extensions with heavy machines can be quite risky. In fact, in a study about weight machine-related deaths between 1990-2007, the full count was 114 people.
Due to this reason, it is always a good idea to practice leg extensions while you are sitting at your desk. It will keep your knees in good condition without and keep pains and injuries away.
- All you have to do is extend and stretch your legs until it comes in level with your hips.
- Keep holding the position as long as possible.
Make sure to repeat the process for both your legs until you feel relaxed.
Calf raising and stretching
Calf raising is yet another one of the most popular exercises that you can practice at your desk. These are similar to that of the toe raises.
However, the only difference is it utilizes the calf part of your leg.
- All you have to do is stand and hold on to the desk to balance yourself.
- After that, you have to raise your heels from the floor and lower back down.
- Practicing this exercise will help you to keep your calf muscles strong and toned.
- You can use small exercising equipment that will help in making the exercise more effective.
Sitting at your desk for long not only makes you lazy but also invites many unwanted complications. You have to keep repeating the exercise every time you are taking a break.
You might have heard that squats are quite useful since it helps in keeping your back straight. This is one of the best exercises to do at your desk sitting. And works on various areas from your stomach to the core muscles.
- For this, you do not have to do much. Stand near your desk, and keep your feet wide apart.
- Bend and slightly lower your hips until you feel that your backside is almost a few inches away from the seat and stand up.
- You have to hold the position and repeat the exercise at least three times. Perform repetition of 10 sets. Otherwise, it will not be effective enough.
Also, make sure that you are careful enough while practicing the exercise.
To make the exercise more intense, you can keep small dumbbells inside your cubicle. And do squats with them if you do not feel safe doing chair squats.
You might feel that office spaces are always boring and give a workaholic feel throughout the day. Plus, it would give rise to lower back pain, affecting 30% of people in the United States on average. This would have long term ramifications. So, doing proper exercises in the office is better than visiting a chiropractor later.
If you are interested in boxing, then utilize that skill. Bring out your inner boxing skills and throw some punches in the air. However, you must focus on how to exercise at your desk in secret while attempting this one.
It is the most effective method of releasing stress and reducing lower back pain.
If you want some resistance, you can use full water bottles to add that effect to your punch.
Indeed, shadow boxing is one of the fun exercise methods you can follow to keep yourself away from stress. And it is effective for reducing the possibility of hardcore health issues too.
Toe raising and stretching
If you want to exercise while sitting at a computer that will relax your shins, then toe raises are the best option. Toe raises are easy to practice as you can do this either by sitting or standing. However, keep in mind to hold onto some support so that you can balance.
If you want to make your practice more strenuous, then you can use a resistance band.
- For this, you have to keep the heels on the ground.
- Then, lift your toes along with the balls of your feet.
- While raising your toes, make sure that you are stretching your toes too.
You can also massage your toes and your feet to feel comfortable after practicing the exercise.
It is important to understand that extra pounds do not stop at your waist as they travel to your hips too.
Due to this reason, it is always a good idea to practice hip flexions while you are sitting near your desk. Hip flexing will help in fighting a sedentary lifestyle.
- When sitting in a chair, make sure to raise your foot a few inches off the floor.
- After that, you have to bend your hips at a ninety-degree angle and hold the position for ten seconds.
- Hip flexing is quite useful if you want to keep your hipline slim and sleek. Do not forget to repeat the same on the other side.
It is important to practice the exercise slowly; otherwise, it might cause a sprain in your hip.
Like other parts of your body, sitting all day long in one-place puts a lot of stress on your neck and shoulder. Due to this reason, it is important to maintain correct ergonomics at your workstation.
It will help in reducing stress on your neck and shoulder. In turn, this is one of the exercises for office workers that helps in reducing muscle tension.
- You can practice neck-stretching sitting right in your chair. All you have to do is lower your chin and keep rolling your neck in a circle.
- Next, you have to lift your chin and bend it on each side for ten seconds.
You can keep repeating the exercise whenever you feel like, throughout the day.
Traditional push-ups are impossible to practice, especially in the office cubicle. However, if you change your position, then it can work as one of the exercises you can do in place.
- All you have to do is lean on the wall or grab a durable section of your desk.
- Support your hands and arms on it.
- After that, make sure to push away until you are completing a full push-up.
Do not forget that you keep repeating the action as many times as you want.
Overall, suppose you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle despite long work hours. In that case, you must practice these exercises while sitting in your chair. Also, make sure that you are giving importance to maintaining a healthy diet along with these. To make the exercises more effective, you can always use small equipment.